At 40 seconds, you’ll never see this word the same way again.
At 1:21, you’ll see a lodge like you’ve never seen one before (without ever seeing a picture of the lodge).
At 1:45, you’ll watch a word say more in one second than an entire wing of the Library of Congress.
And the last sequence will remind you why we write in the first place.
When Did the Art of Storytelling Die?
Are we raising a generation of nutritionally deficient words that lacks the proper building blocks to grow up strong and lean?
Or is there a certain pride in producing amnesia-inducing text that doubles as a sleep aid?
I’m here to say, “No.”
Growing up in NYC, some of my best friends were words.
Often misunderstood and regularly bullied, words became outcasts turning into little more than punchlines to bad jokes….
Eventually, they stopped standing up for themselves.
I decided to do something about that. A video to be exact. (This animated video is my way of giving back. While this short animated video may not get these words through college, it will at least help them stand up, speak up for themselves and get heard….)
Words. The Bedrock of Concepts That Stick
(and the Ambassadors of Great Storytelling)
There’s something terribly wrong with what’s been done to words.
We’ve been raising a generation of words that are basically lazy and uninspired.
Words have a function: they help us tell stories — our stories and our clients’ stories.
Stories that interest others.
Stories that compel action.
Stories that bridge gaps (rather than fortresses to fend off imagined enemies).
Done well, words take us on a journey, transforming mundane information into a compelling bit of language and story that engages us.
The Video That Helps Words
Speak for Themselves
I did this video because I love a good story, the power of language and how words help us weave good stories.
View it for yourself and see.
Want more? Read below.
Power of Words Series
If you enjoyed this post, the entire series will blow you away starting with #1 (have a Kleenex handy):
- The Power of Words, Part 1: Words That Cause Action
- The Power of Words, Part 2: Speaking with Authority
- The Power of Words, Part 3: The Power to Transport You
- The Power of Words, Part 4: Words That Sell
- The Power of Words, Part 5: Words That Inspire and Unite
- The Power of Words, Part 6: How to Strike Back with Intelligence
- The Power of Words, Part 7: How a 10-year-old Boy Saved the World
- The Power of Words, Part 8: The Pledge of Allegiance Like You’ve Never Heard It (and You’ll Never Hear It the Same Way Again)
- The Power of Words, Part 9: When Size Does Matter (You Will Not Believe This Packaging)