With the presidential election and political debates on everyone’s mind, this video message has a certain timeliness about it.
Committees: Where Good Ideas Go
To Get Slaughtered
Yes, this video immortalizes something I actually said in public, “Committees — famous for vanilla outcomes, exhausting debates and mindless meetings — have destroyed more good ideas than a roomful of politicians.”
No need to do any fact-checking on that one. I said it. This might even be one thing the presidential candidates actually agree on.
Why? Because it’s what I’ve observed from three decades of serving clients and creating killer brands.
Want a project to die? Assign a committee to it. Want to try to please everyone while satisfying no one? Assign a committee to it. Want a vanilla-fest of mediocrity to outdo any previous vanilla-fest? Assign a larger committee to it.
And the amusing aspect is that when you dare to state that point out loud, people heave a sigh of relief with a “finally somebody said it” expression of relief.
Some Facts Even a Politician Couldn’t Deny
In the above video, I mention some startling facts (these have increased since the recording of this video):
“Each and every minute, we are competing with:
- nearly 3 million YouTube videos being viewed
- while 277,000 other people log on to Facebook
- at the same time as another 100,000 people send tweets…
- each and every minute.
I also comment about the ever-changing channels of communication we face each and every day. Particularly, popular channels like social media.
I state specifically, “If you and I have nothing to say with those channels of communication, well we’re out of luck.
“Because social media is NOT content. And it’s certainly NOT a brand strategy.”
My Closing Statement:
My 6 Point Plan To Keep Your Brand On Track
1. Let’s have something to say.
2. Let’s be passionate about it.
3. Let’s say it in a way that will stand out and get noticed. Not only with the words, but how our brands look. It all adds up to “How will our story be remembered?”
4. Let’s make sure we’ve got worthwhile content and make it mean something. Above all…
5. Let’s have conviction and believe in it. And as a last word in branding,
6. Let’s be courageous while doing it.
And if you haven’t gotten your own copy of The Lucky Brand eBook, get your free copy here.
It’s not like a political promise that leaves you wondering which way is up. It’s a collection of straight, proven insights and strategies and it’s simply yours for the asking.