“LinkedIn has transformed so much as a platform.… Now, it’s become more of a content platform. …. It’s where Facebook was at 5-7 years ago.” Gary Vaynerchuk
Below is today’s One Minute Wednesday that will change a lot of things in your business.
Six months ago I was doing nothing with LinkedIn.
Now I have a whole community that I’m actually engaging in, and my followers are nearly double what they were.
Now, I know what people want to hear. I know what they’re interested in. I know what their pain points are. I didn’t know that six weeks ago, two weeks ago. Now only today, I’m literally asking questions, and I’m getting feedback back.
The only way that I arrived at being able to drop a question and get that much engagement was for the past four months, I have been dropping articles. I have been dropping videos. I have been sharing.
But I had a story first. I knew what my brand stood for. What it helped people achieve.
Do not get so engrossed with only being a producer throwing stuff out. You need to interact with people, so that’s the other part, the other thing that cracks the code is: Be a presence.
I cover more of that here:
5 Vital LinkedIn Tips
- HOW TO HOOK: When doing video, there are two points to live by: 1) your video thumbnail will be the first second of your video. Make sure your first second of the video is designed because that will become your thumbnail. 2) Add in captions since the majority of people seeing your LinkedIn feed will be seeing it on mute” and without the captions, you will have nothing to hook them with.
- HOW TO ENGAGE: Engage so you’re seen as “part of the terrain” and an integral part of the LinkedIn ecosystem.
- MAINTAIN BALANCE: Mix it up intelligently: do some one-liners, do some medium long-posts, and do some articles and videos. But how do you do it intelligently? By balancing the “knowns” with the “unknowns.” Provide high quality insights that are “simply great because they are on point” but now balance them with unexpected twists and turns or higher levels of GIVING and VALUE than are expected. That is the ONLY way to keep yourself consistently engaging, interesting, and relevant.
- THE GIVING RATIO: Follow this basic rule of thumb: provide value and insights 85% of the time, and “sell” about 15% of the time. Violate this at your own risk.
- INTERACT: Remember: Your interaction and your participation with others is your slice of humanity that you are bringing into existence. If you fail to provide others with recognition, you will die, and that’s as true on LinkedIn as it is in life.
Now, if you haven’t mastered your brand story and your brand identity, that can undermine all of the above.
Get that in order first and reach out if you don’t have that locked in.