When they said, “See the guy in the back,” I wondered what the hell I had just gotten myself into….
A Little Coke Goes a Long Way
Minding my own business, I was innocently walking down the street yesterday morning when I saw the above sign.
I immediately popped out my iPhone and shot this as I did not see this coming (not by a long shot). (For fans of “The Power of Words” series [shown below with all the links], the bar has been raised by a small grocer in Florida.)
So now, I had to walk in the store to find out what this was all about.
After asking the guy at the front counter, I was told “see the guy in the back.” (gulp, pun intended)
Forming Lines With Coke
So, I went to the back where I approached an elderly gentleman and simply asked, “What is this Mexican Coke mentioned on the sign?”
He looked back with a mischievous grin.
He told me about a group of Americans who swear by Coca-Cola imported from Mexico. Sweetened with cane sugar instead of corn syrup, this version of Coke is the only Coke these consumers will drink swearing it tastes better and is healthier. This was the first I heard about this and he proceeded to tell me tons of people come in and ask about his sign.
His sign was his way to have some fun with this product that he sells while generating a buzz, curiosity and even getting some local publicity in the newspaper.
He mentioned, of all the people who see the sign, the only person who ever stopped to read it and didn’t come in was a Mexican man he saw stop, read the sign, then shake his head (in amusement or disbelief… or both) and walk on.
So, here’s the question to answer:
How can your brand have fun, exceed the expected and cause people to stop in their tracks?
Try This at Home Only Under the
Guidance of a Trained Professional
If you enjoyed this post, the entire series will blow you away starting with #1 (have a Kleenex handy):
- The Power of Words, Part 1: Words That Cause Action
- The Power of Words, Part 2: Speaking with Authority
- The Power of Words, Part 3: The Power to Transport You
- The Power of Words, Part 4: Words That Sell
- The Power of Words, Part 5: Words That Inspire and Unite
- The Power of Words, Part 6: How to Strike Back with Intelligence
- The Power of Words, Part 7: How a 10-year-old Boy Saved the World
- The Power of Words, Part 8: The Pledge of Allegiance Like You’ve Never Heard It (and You’ll Never Hear It the Same Way Again)
- The Power of Words, Part 9: When Size Does Matter (You Will Not Believe This Packaging)
- The Power of Words, Part 10: New Animated Video – Helping Words Become Better Storytellers
Photo credit: Jon Le-Bon / Shutterstock.com