There are so many awesome products out there waiting to get noticed. With so many small businesses and a dream, few ever graduate to become a true successful brand (or rise to the level of Anne Hathaway, more on that below).
Yet, like so many prom dates gone wrong, it was left standing there, waiting for a simple gesture of recognition.
It wasn’t about being good or not. (Need a rebrand checklist? Click here.)
- It was a truly fabulous collection of watercolor paints.
- They were made from plants, flowers and herbs.
- They were naturally scented.
- They were non-toxic — perfect for today’s kids.
They did all the right things.
So what about the brand wasn’t working?
The existing package suffered from several missteps leaving it more abandoned than Anne Hathaway when she co-hosted the Oscars with James Franco (thank you Tina Fey).
A brand has a function
We took the existing brand and package and reworked it top to bottom (scroll down to see the before and after).
- We replaced the pouch with a custom-designed box that could stand or hang,
- We introduced clean product photography on the box which the previous package lacked,
- We developed a clear hierarchy of information on the front so the consumer knows what they are getting,
- We replaced the existing lettering on the front of the package (which resembled watercoloring) with highly legible multi-colored typography that clearly identifies what the product is and for whom (i.e., for kids and for ages 4 +), and lastly
- We transformed the sides of the boxes to demonstrate the beauty of watercolors simultaneously making the box instantly recognizable on the shelf.
If you’re not getting the attention you deserve, Anne Hathaway knows how you feel. Just watch any YouTube snippet of the Oscars she and James Franco co-hosted.
Many business owners know how you feel. (Some used to know how you feel and have recovered.)
Many brands skip 3 questions every brand must answer (see here for those basic important steps).
But that doesn’t mean it should stay that way.
In fact, it shouldn’t. Glob Colors owner Ashley recently wrote me with this news:
I just got done with a San Francisco trade show and the response to the new packaging has been overwhelming. Stores that hadn’t done well with the product wanted to re-order, stores that had not ordered before decided to give it try, and many people told me they were switching from my competitors because the packaging was WAY better.Thank you!!!! I am having a hard time filling my orders. Nice problem to have!
Which is why we should speak. Now. Email me: david @ risingabovethenoise dot com or call 715-235-9040 so you don’t end up like Anne Hathaway on that ill-fated co-hosting Oscars gig.
(While it will never be confirmed if Anne used her experience with James Franco as the inspiration for the depth of her memorable performance of desperation in Les Miserables, here is the amusing viral YouTube video for Anne’s Oscar nomination for that performance:)