Just when you thought Jeff Bezos could do no wrong, here comes Amazon Prime Music.
Tonight after dinner, I opened up my Amazon Music app and was faced with this (don’t tell me I didn’t warn you):
“The only music streaming service with free two-day shipping”? WTF?
Just nod if you can hear me
Is there anyone at home?
That’s like offering grass-fed vegan burgers!
Let’s look at some other unnatural disasters that might apply this unique form of marketing logic:
- The only all-night-diner open from 7 am to 7 pm.
- The only all-you-can-eat buffet with portion control.
- The only cremation service with handmade organic wood coffins.
- The only 100% electric car to get 40 miles to the gallon.
- The only high-caffeine decaf coffee chain.
- The only mass-produced one-of-a-kind (fill in the blank) available!
Really Amazon, what the heck does two-day shipping have to do with streaming music?
The branding lesson the rest of us can learn from this?
When branding, be real. Be authentic. And stop drinking too much of your own koolaid.
In other words, don’t mix things that truly don’t belong together (like cheap chocolate mints with anchovies and hand-picked olives).